Wednesday, June 1, 2016

ICAD #1: Mixtape

While I may still be feeling a little aimless without my usual school year schedule in motion, my summer days will have a little sense of direction, thanks to the ICAD challenge.

"ICAD" stands for Index-Card-a-Day, which is the brainchild of Tammy Garcia, whose "Daisy Yellow" blog is packed with artsy inspiration on the daily. The challenge runs from June 1 to July 31, though you can jump in at any time. The idea is to make room each day for creativity.

While I didn't make it all the way through the challenge last summer, I did create a few cards. This summer, I hope to keep at it. So far, so good -- today was the first day of the challenge, with the suggested prompt, "Mixtape." Right away, my mind went back to the early 90s.
I used watercolor pencils to draw my tape, and then added the text. The suggested theme this week is to seek inspiration from words, lists, typography, old books, and poetry, so I used my words on this one, reflecting on the power of the mix tape, circa 1991. 

If you're interested in playing along, you can find out more details via Daisy Yellow

No comments:

Post a Comment