Sunday, August 21, 2016

Adaptation.

One of the not-so-secrets of boosting one's creative energies is to mix old with new. I've adhered to this approach in practically all of the non-design-team projects that I've made over the years. In fact, when doing design team work, sometimes I've had to grit my teeth and fight the temptation to work in an older pattern or accent, something that I just KNEW would look awesome, just because it wasn't part of the kit or the brand or the assignment.

I like to think of mixing old with new as a way of adapting, of keeping things fresh and moving forward while also recognizing that what is no longer new is still valuable.

So why is this on my mind right now? A ch-ch-ch-change in the industry has once again occurred, as Scraptastic Club has decided to discontinue its scrapbooking kits, though it will continue its planner and This Life Noted kits. As much as I've loved working with Jessica and the team at Scraptastic, I have made the decision to step down from the team once I've finished working with the last scrapbooking kit over the next few weeks.

This has made me seriously question whether I am willfully limiting my own creativity. Is it time for me to suck it up and adapt, to become a planner person or a pocket pages person?  I could have remained on the team in that capacity...but pocket pages are not my thing, and a planner person I am not. I use a planner for work, but it is utterly functional, and thus, flat out resists stickers and stamps and prettifying on principle.  I know it's unpopular for me to say this, but I still don't "get" the planner trend. Help me understand it! My planner is a site of chaos. It just barely lends a sense of structure to my days. Whatever neat and orderly handwriting may be there on Monday, come Friday, it has been replaced by demonic-looking scrawls. There's no room for cutesy in that nightmare. When I throw it out at the end of the year, it's like an exorcism has occurred. Why would I want to decorate it, much less preserve it? This all makes me wonder if I am just perceiving the trend in the wrong way. I can't adapt, I guess.

So I'm adapting in other ways. I'll continue scrapbooking, and will try to be open to the new while also finding value in the old.

One way I'm doing this is by subscribing to my first non-design-team-related kit in years.  I recently purchased a Story Kits subscription. These kits are from the brain (and trademark hand) of Ali Edwards, and at just about twenty bucks a kit, they are so worth it. I've received two kits so far, and I'm really happy with them! Although the kits can clearly be used for pocket-page scrapbooking, they aren't limited to that approach.  Just today I created a layout mixing items from the "Stuff" Story Kit with some older items from my stash.
(These tacos are freaking insane, by the way.)
I'm thinking this is a hopeful sign, that with or without the anchor of a team and its deadlines, I can still find ways to be creative that work for me, instead of feeling as if I've been set adrift.

15 comments:

  1. I can understand as I'm not a planner or pocket pages person too ;-)
    I looove your layout, so much gorgeousness! I'm a yellov girl haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get it either but when I think of the planner trend, I keep thinking of all kinds of sociological and psychological "reasons". Noelle Hyman did an absolutely hilarious tour of her "planning room" and "tips" for planners.
    http://tinyurl.com/gocn58j
    If anyone is worried about the link, go to Paperclipping.com and put "planner" into the Search. The video was posted 4/1/2015---April Fools Day! Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire all the design teams who get to play with all the newest collections yet are restricted to only the products they are promoting who display awesome creativeness while doing so. Love your pages but mostly the words !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same dilemma. I hate the planner/pocket pages trend, but the design team push fueled me through for several years. No deadlines has really put a damper on any scrapbooking. If you have any tips on how to keep plugging along please share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like the planner trend. I'm like you, I just throw them out, too. Who wants to keep more junk? And, drawing on my Bible? I don't think so. I feel like I'm disrespectful to God. Call me boring but I'm sticking to layouts/mini albums. I agree with Farm woman-love your pages & your words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so funny that you brought up the Faithbooking trend -- I was just thinking about this. My mom and grandma raised me to treat the Bible as a sacred object. If it fell, they'd kiss it! With that in my background, it's not surprising that I still grow wide-eyed at times when I see people modifying the pages of Bibles with art supplies. It's wonderful if it deepens someone's faith and unites creative expression with spiritual expression, but I have a psychological block firmly implanted by my family that won't let me go there. I'd be watching out for lightning bolts the whole time! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a former English teacher, I totally get how your planner looks by the end of the week! :) Please keep creating your pages and sharing here; I love your blend of words and pictures!! I also think it's inspiring to see how new and old can be used together. We all have so much old product and need to see how to use it.

    I'm not into pocket pages either, but I figure as long as people are still scrapbooking companies will still be making supplies that I can use. :) I do, however, like to Bible journal. It was hard at first because I think of the Bible as a special book too. I bought a Bible specially designed for taking notes in and keep my "art" mainly in that space. A quote that helped me feel it was OK is "The Bible is translated into many languages, and you're translating it into a creative one." I don't remember who said it, but it made sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No planners for me either. I make a weekly grocery list, and that is about it. I do mix in a few pocket pages in my scrapbook. I think you found the perfect kit for yourself in the Story Kits. Your pages are so full of stories, and I think you will be able to create so much more in your own style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't get the whole planner thing either. Who has time for that?! I sub to both the story kits at the moment but I think I'm going to let the kit go soon and just stick with the stamp as I seem to get more use out of it than the products. But they certainly do rock! I think somehow you'll find yourself on another DT soon. Hip kits are having a call right now & they're pretty amazing, you should apply. Your layout is awesome btw.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're not alone! I am not a planner person and I cannot bring myself to write in a Bible. I will admit to enjoying travelers notebooks but I use them for short projects and tend to think of each page as a scrapbook spread. I think Ali's kits are wonderful too - I subscribe to both and they are just neutral enough to blend well with all the other supplies I've amassed over the years. I will continue to tell stories on regular scrapbook pages as creatively as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel the same way and I'm so glad you posted this. I am a scrapbooker and while I do have a planner, it's strictly functional for me. I don't want it to be cutesy, I want it to tell me where I have to be and when. I do sometimes do pocket style pages but the decorative planner I will never be! Thanks for posting and keeping it real :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow -- thanks for posting comments, everyone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a hot topic, these planners:)
    There are people who's life is beautiful - they have beautiful homes, they take beautiful pictures, they keep beautiful planners. It just works for them.
    I love lists, I need them, and the best part is to throw them away at the end of the day. So no pretty planner for me. But I've seen some planners that are kind of a mix - they have lists and plans and appointments, but they also have photos and some cute stuff. Like a pretty photo diary - I think it's middle ground for people who are creative and like to document things, but don't have time for scrapbooking (or just see no point in it). I can see myself doing something like that when I'm tired of making pages (lol).

    PS. I love pocket pages. They are awesome for travel albums in 6x8 form.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also have gotten Ali's story stamps since the inception. I will echo previous commenters in saying that for me it is the pictures and the stories first and any embellishment second. That is why I love both Ali Edwards' and your work! Keep on scrapping as I will follow as long as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally relate to what you have said about planners. I can barely have time to write on it. So I guess, I am too out of the trend. I love preparing my scrapbook pages and I would love to have time to put on those more often. So, I do it when I can.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your layouts.
    You made my day!

    ReplyDelete