Monday, September 5, 2016

August in Review

I can't believe that it's already September -- but I must say, I'm a little glad to bid farewell to August. It was a butt-kicking month, what with the the transition back to school, way too many appointments, a week apart from my husband, and two hurricane warnings.
Now that September is here, I've acclimated to the school routine, my body and I are getting along again, the hubs is back, and the hurricanes have passed us by.

Still, August was anything but boring, as this layout reveals at first glance. It was busy and colorful and crazy, and that's not necessarily a bad thing for a month to be.  Periods of time like that give rise to changes.

In a single month, I've met about 70 new students and learned all of their names. I look forward each day to spending time with them and the students I have come to know over the years. Because of them, I'm pushing myself to be an even better teacher.

In a single month, I've gone from a healthy, daily exercise routine, which was really quite easy to keep up with since I didn't have to work all summer, to a much more sporadic routine. When work started again, I found myself exhausted, driven toward the couch, or coming home and needing to make dinner right away, with no time to exercise before the sun went down.  However, it's made me realize that staying healthy is a choice, and that even if I can only get in a 20-minute walk, that's still something.

In a single month, I've shifted from a nearly-Starbucks-free summer to having Starbucks nearly every day during my first week back to work...and then, with the help of scoldings from my students, I realized that I was willfully falling back into old habits, and I started making smoothies for myself every morning.

Some changes I can't control (like the changing paths of hurricanes), but some I can, and I'm trying to be increasingly mindful of that when it comes to discerning between what I want to do versus what I should do.

3 comments:

  1. Your monthly review cards are the best...this is my favorite one so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... This is so full of information, yet not overcrowded. Glad the hurricanes missed you. Welcome back to school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so inspiring. Love stopping by your blog every now and then.

    ReplyDelete