Friday, December 23, 2016

Catching Up

Although I had hoped to complete a holiday album this year, it is now December 23, and I have yet to begin.  I know, I know -- shame, shame.

I've been creating holiday albums for years now, and over the past few weeks, as the album increasingly became an unlikely prospect with each passing day, I just couldn't get started. Mostly I just wouldn't get started.

I wasn't experiencing some kind of creative block -- I was, in fact, experiencing December.

This month is insane, especially for teachers who are trying to finish a semester and grade stacks of essay exams, who put off appointments until breaks, who really just want to sit on their butts and watch their annual LOTR marathon without needing to worry about getting ANYTHING done -- especially a holiday album.

Scrappy me tried to put up a fight: "You always make an album, Jill. It's tradition! What kind of December would it be if it went undocumented?"

A pretty restful one, it turns out.

The holiday album is a tradition, and though I am dealing with some guilt because I'm departing from that, the whole process was starting to feel redundant. The line between documenting Christmas and staging Christmas was becoming too blurry.

Yesterday, in the midst of watching The Two Towers (priorities!), I officially decided to forgo the holiday album and to devote my creative energies toward finishing a project that I've been trying to stick to all year: my month-in review layouts.

It felt amazing to just do my own thing.

December will be documented -- just in a different way.

2 comments:

  1. How much I love your gorgeous creations , love all the details on them ♥ Merry Christmas my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The layouts are super worth "scraplifting!" Consider it done ;-)). I especially like the thought: "staging vs documenting." Lots of wisdom in those 3 words! Lots to ponder, going forth.
    Happy Holidays and I look forward to seeing December's layout.
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete