Thursday, June 8, 2017

Recovery + A Little Catch-Up

The surgery went well -- thank you for your kind comments and prayers!

I really thought that sinus pain/nasal sensitivity was going to be the most challenging part of the recovery after my septoplasty and turbinate reduction, but I honestly haven't felt pain at all -- just a little discomfort, ameliorated by saline washes and some Tylenol (I haven't even had to take the pain meds that the doc prescribed).  It was really the anesthesia that had the most powerful effect on my body, followed by the post-surgery antibiotics. It has taken me a week to shake off the dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea and to regain a clear head, but I'm on the mend and feeling so much better.

In fact, today I finally got so fed up with vegging on the couch and watching TV (something I never, ever thought that I could ever tire of doing) that I summoned a little burst of creative energy and played some ICAD catch-up for days 2-4.

The theme for ICAD Day 2 was "Lost and/or Found." In keeping with the week 1 theme that includes words and poetry, I worked in a few lines from Elizabeth Bishop's "One Art" ("The art of losing isn't hard to master; / so many things seem filled with the intent / to be lost that their loss is no disaster").  I also worked in "found" items from the mail.
The theme for Day 3 was "Vintage." I turned my attention to creating a little stitched collage, which includes some vintage papers mixed with more recent tidbits. The base index card is repurposed from a stack of cards my daughter used to study for a science exam. This card is highly amusing to me, as my  husband helped my daughter with the study process by writing out a few test questions for her, each of which included answers of his own among the multiple choice options.
Day 4's theme was "Lavender." I took a somewhat literal approach, incorporating lavender hues in the form of painted rectangles stitched into a garland.

These are simple little cards, but they have helped me to revive my spirits and to welcome color back into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment